Posted to Thoughts
As April showers wash away the dirt and grime left behind by another challenging winter and the ice finally leaves the bay, we can look forward to ‘unpacking spring’.
With Downtown Barrie’s proximity to beautiful Kempenfelt Bay and the myriad of activities and events that take place each spring in the downtown core and along the shores, venture downtown and see for yourself what the excitement is all about!
- Cheers! Downtown Barrie has one of the most vibrant patio scenes in all of Ontario. There are over 30 patios to enjoy, including local favourites like: Donaleighs, Kensington’s Burger Bar, Skybank, Lazy Tulip Cafe and Grilled Cheese Social Eatery. Patios are now a permanent feature of the downtown after a successful pilot project 5 years ago.
- #MayDays Get in on the giveaway! Every purchase made at participating retailers downtown qualifies you to enter a draw for a chance to win a prize package including gift certificates and products. Formerly known as Fresh Air Fridays, Maydays encourages you to check out such independent retailers as Bill LeBoeuf Jewellers, John McNabb Clothiers, Nutrition Plus, Inhabit, and Zu Zu Fashion Boutique.
- Barrie Farmers’ Market Moves Outside On the first Saturday in May, the Barrie Farmers’ Market moves back outdoors in front of City Hall at the corner of Mulcaster and Collier Streets. Come and enjoy the spring harvest that local producers such as McBride’s Organic Farm, Nicholyn Farms, Adam’s Honey, and Carter Farms have to offer. If local artisans and pop-up prepared food stands are your thing, check out Longstaffe Woodcraft, Soupherb Soups, and Heena’s Curry House to name a few.
- Meridian Place Construction to be completed early summer. In its final form, the downtown plaza will connect the waterfront to the Downtown, provide an outdoor public gathering place for both programmed and casual interaction and an enhanced war memorial in Memorial Square.
- Barrie Boat Show Mark your calendars! On June 15th to 17th, Barrie Downtown will host the first Barrie Boat Show at the new docks at the foot of Bayfield Street beside Heritage Park. Whether you’re in the market for a new boat or simply out for a stroll on Father’s Day weekend, stop by to check out the boats at this exciting new Downtown event.